INTRODUCTORY NOTE: ABOUT MY NAME:
(1) PRONUNCIATION: Fang is [fong].
(2) SPELING: According to Chinese rule, family name precede given names, for
example, Ruan Fang-fu in stead of Fang-fu Ruan. Chinese given name does not consist of
Western "first name" and "middle name", and it ma berendered in pinyin system or other
system in different ays. My name can be written in the following equivalent forms:
Fang Fu Ruan Fang F. Ruan Fangfu Ruan
Fang-fu Ruan Fang-Fu Ruan Ruan Fangfu
Ruan, Fang Fu Ruan Fang-fu Ruan Fang-Fu, etc.
(3) THE OTHER ENGLISH SPELLINGS OF MY NAME IN PUBLICATIONS:
Juan, Fang-fu Such as in Library of Congress Catalog Oct.-Dec. 1980 Subject Catalog
Vol. 5, p. 371, and 1982 Subject Catalog Vol. 6, p. 149; and in National Union Catalog 1980 Vol. 8, p. 311; 1982 Vol. 11, p. 36.
Luan, Fang fu Such as in Metamedicine 3:41, 42, and 69, 1982, D. Reidel Pub. Co.
Ran, Fan Fu Such as in Bulletin of the History of Medicine 53(1):133, 1979,
Johns Hopkins University Press.
Fong-fu Ruan Such as in ASA Footnotes p.8, January 1985;
International Sociological Association Newsletter, No. 16, p.4, September 1985; and North
American-Chinese Sociologists Association Directory, 1985-1986.
I. PUBLICATIONS IN ENGLISH
Fang Fu Ruan: Sex in China: Studies in Sexology in Chinese Culture. A book in the
series "Perspectives in Sexuality: Behavior, Research, and Therapy" (edited by Richard Green, M.D., J.D.),
222 pp., ill., New York: Plenum Press, 1991.
Vern Bullough & Fang Fu Ruan (Co-Editors): Chinese Erotic Classics in Translation.
A series. Book 1: The Fragrant Flower: Classic Chinese
Erotica in Art and Poetry. Translated by N.S. & B.L. Wang, Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books, 1990.
(2) Article or Chapter in an edited book:
Fang Fu Ruan: "China and Birth Control" In Encyclopedia of Birth Control (Edited by
Vern L. Bullough), pp. 62-65. Santa Barbara: ABC Clio Press, 2001.
"China(Zhonghua Renmin Gonghe Guo): Sects.1-13".In The International Encyclopedia of Sexuality, edited by Robert T. Francoeur, Volume I: Argentina to Greece, pp. 344-380. New York, NY:
Continuum Publishing Company, 1997.
Fang Fu Ruan: "3. China". In Socio-Legal Control of Homosexuality: some International Comparisons. edited by D.J. West, MD, LittD. & Richard
Green, MD, JD., PP, 57-66, New York, NY: Plenum Pless, 1997.
Fang Fu Ruan: "21. Sex Policy and The Law in China: Then and Now".
In The Handbook of Forensic Sexology: Biomedical and
Criminological Perspectives, edited by James J. Krivacska, Psy.D. & John Money, Ph.D., pp. 489-520. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books, 1994.
Fang Fu Ruan: "China and Sex." (pp. 116-119) "Confucianism and Sex." (pp. 139-140)
"Taoism and Sex." (pp. 575-577) "Buddhism and Sex." (pp. 70-71) In Human
Sexuality: An Encyclopedia, edited by Vern L. & Bonnie Bullough, New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1994.
Vern L. Bullough & Fang Fu Ruan: "Chapter 3. Same Sex Love in Contemporary
China." In The Third Pink Book: A Global View of Lesbian and Gay Liberation and Oppression (edited by R. Tielman, A. Hendriks, and E. van der Veen), pp. 46-53.
Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books, 1993.
Fang-fu Ruan & Yung-mei Tsai: "Male Homosexuality in Contemporary Mainland
China." in Studies in Homosexuality (A 13-volume anthology of
scholarly articles, edited by W.R. Dynes & S. Donaldson) Vol. III Asian Homosexuality. Hamden, CT: Garland Publishing, 1993.
Fang Fu Ruan & Vern Bullough: "Sex Repression in Contemporary China." In
Building a World Community: Humanism in the 21st Century (Edited by Paul Kurtz), 1989, Buffalo, NY: Prometheus
Books, pp. 198-201.
Vern L. Bullough & Fang Fu Ruan: "Marriage, Divorce, and Sexual Relations
in Contemporary China."
Journal of Comparative Family Studies 25(3): 383-393, Autumn 1994.
Fang Fu Ruan: "Chinese Sexologist Responds." Sentinel (San Francisco), 12/24, 1992
Fang-fu Ruan & Vern L. Bullough: "Lesbianism in China."
Archives of Sexual Behavior 21(3): 217-226, 1992.
Vern L. Bullough & Fang Fu Ruan: "Sex Education in Mainland China."
Health Education 21(2): 16-19, 1990.
Fang-fu Ruan, Vern L. Bullough, & Yung-mei Tsai: "Male Transsexualism in mainland
China." Archives of Sexual Behavior 18(6): 517-522, 1989.
Fang Fu Ruan & Vern L. Bullough: "Sex in China." Medical Aspects of Human
Sexuality, 23(7): 59-62, 1989. Reprinted, "Chinese Sex Comes Out Of the Closet." This World (San
Francisco Chronicle Sunday Magazine), December 10, 1989, p. 17.
Fang-fu Ruan, & Vern L. Bullough: "The First Case of Transsexual Surgery in Mainland
China." The Journal of Sex Research 25(4): 546-547, 1988.
Vern L. Bullough & Fang-fu Ruan: "China's Children."
(Editorials), The Nation 246(No. 24, 6/18): 848-9, 1988.
Fang-fu Ruan & Yung-mei Tsai:
"Male Homosexuality in Contemporary Mainland China."
Archives of Sexual Behavior 17(2): 189-199, 1988.
Key Ray Chong & Fang Fu Ruan: "The Resurrection of Sun Yat-Sen for China's
Modernizations." Journal of Third World Studies, 5(1): 130-145, 1988.
Fang-fu Ruan & Yung-mei Tsai: "Male Homosexuality in the Traditional Chinese
Literature." Journal of Homosexuality Vol.14(3/4): 21-33, 1987.
F. Ruan & K. R. Chong: "Gay Life In China." The Advocate 470(4/14): 28-31, 1987.
(4) Special Consultant:
Becoming A Sexual Person (by Robert T. Francoeur) 2nd edition, Chapter 2:
"Sexual Customs in Other Cultures: Sexual Customs in the People's Republic of China."
pp. 39-42,New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1991.
(5) Completed Manuscripts to be published:
1. Fang-fu Ruan: A Concise History of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 1991.
2. A Supplement to Records of the Cut Sleeve (Tuan-hsiu-Hsu-pien),
Compiled & Translated by F. F. Ruan, 1991.
3. Coital Positions in Chinese Classics. Compiled & Translated by Fang Fu Ruan, 1990.
II. PUBLICATION IN OTHER WESTERN LANGUAGE
Fang Fu Ruan: "Sexualpolitik in der
Volksrepublic China." In: Sexualwissenschaft Und Sexualpolitik (Schriftenreihe sozialwessnschaftliche Sexualforschung; 3), ed. von Rolf Gindorf und Erwin J. Haeberle, pp. 377-393, Berlin:
Walter de Gruyter & Co., 1992.
III. PUBLICATIONS IN CHINESE
*: with English abstract
##: pen name-- Yang, Cunzhong; Hua, Jinma; Jiang, Ji-fang, etc.
The author of:
1) Our Body. Beijing : Beijing Pub. House, 1979, 257 pp.
2) Discovery of the Sex Hormones. Beijing : Science Press, 1979, 159 pp.
Expanded second edition, 1983, 178 pp.
3) New Knowledge on Prevention of Birth Defects.
Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House, 1981, 76 pp.
4）An Introduction to Modern Medicine.
Harbin: Heilongjiang Scientific and Technological
Publishing House, 1982, 89 pp.
5) New Treatise on Medicine. Ibid. 1984, 304 pp.
6) Essays on Prevention of Birth Defects. Beijing: Popular Sci. Pub. House, 1984, 61 pp.
7) An Introduction to Medical Logic. Beijing: People's Medical Pub. House, 1986, 95 pp.
8) Sleeping and Dreaming. Beijing: Nationality Publishing House, 1986, 44 pp.
9) Sexology and Medicine. Hong Kong: Genius Publishing Co., 1989, 188 pp.
10) Things You Want to Know but Hard to Ask .
Taipei, Taiwan: Fangzi Publishing Co, 1992, 210 pp.
11) The New Trend of Sexual Medicine & Health.
Beijing: China Medical Science & Technique Publishing Co, 1995, 62 pp.
12) Sexual Passion and Pleasure: A collection of Fang-fu Ruan's sexological articles,
Shenzhen: Haitian Publishing House, 2000, p.304.
13）Report on Sex：An Encyclopaedia of Human Sexuality（Fang-fu Ruan＇s Series of
Sexuality，Beijing: TCM Classics Press, 2002, p.504.
14)Sexuality Education in the Aged People, The last book of the 9 books series of
sexuality education from 0 to 100 years old, edited by Fang-fu Ruan,
Nanchang, China: The 21st Century Press, 2003, p. 210.
The Co-Author of:
1) The Amazing Human Body. Shijazhuang: Hebei People's Pub. House, 1982, 164 pp.
2) Stress. Beijing : Science Press, 1983, 94 pp.
3) How to Keep the Brain Functioning at Its Best.
Beijing : People's Medical Pub. House, 1983, 63 pp.
4) Sleep and Dream. Beijing: Science Press, 1985, 157 pp.
5) Health Handbook for Young Men. Beijing: China Youth Pub. House, 1986, 460 pp.
6) Medical Ethics. Beijing: Beijing Publishing House, 1986, 210 pp.
7) Philosophy of Life and Medical Morals.
Shanghai: Shanghai People's Pub. House, 1986, 294 pp.
8) On Medicine. Beijing: Science Press, 1986, 263 pp.
9) Medical Sociology. Shanghai: Shanghai People's Pub. House, 1987, 164 pp.*,
10) A Social Perspective on Sex. Taipei: Chu Liu Books, Co., 1987, 308 pp. ##
11) Human Sexuality, Taipei: Huateng Culture, 2003, 340pp.
The Editor of:
1) Handbook of Sex Knowledge.
Beijing: Scient. & Technological Pub. House, 1985, 369 pp.
Revised Edition, Beijing: People's Medical Pub. House &
Scientific and Technological Pub. House, 1988, 380 pp.
2) An Introduction to Medical Sociology. Harbin: Chinese
Hospital Management Press, 1986, 211 pp.
The Co-Editor of:
1) Family Health Guide. Beijing: Beijing Publishing House, 1980, 592 pp.
2) Encyclopedia of Retirement. Beijing: Guangming-Ribao Pub. house, 1984, 356 pp.
3) Practical Guide to Prevention of Birth Defects.
Beijing: People's Medical Pub. House, 1986, 510 pp.
4) Chinese Encyclopedia of Medicine, Volume 1: Medical History.
(Associate Editor-in-Chief) Shanghai: Shanghai Scientific and Technological
Publishing House, 1987, 462 pp.
5) Encyclopedia of Dialectics of Nature，Beijing: China Encyclopedia Press, 1994.
6）China Encyclopedia of Sexology. (Member of Editorial Committee)
Beijing: China Encyclopedia Press, 1998.
The Contributor of:
1) The Way To Success. Beijing: Social Sciences Pub. House, 1983, 253 pp.
2) Life Guide for Youth. (Two Volumes ).
Guiyang: Guizhou People's Pub. House, 1984, 1167 pp.
3) Sex Education and Prevention of Birth Defects. Shanghai: Shanghai Scientific and
Technological Publishing House, 1985, 200 pp.
4) Love and Life of Youth.
Hangzhou: Zhejiang Scientific and Technological Pub. House, 1986, 408 pp.
3) Works on Medical Psychology Beijing: Division of Medical Psychology, Chinese
Psychology and Beijing Society of Psychology, 1979, 121 pp. "On Consulting Psychology." pp. 66-77.
4) Youth's Digest Beijing: China Youth Publishing House, 1981, 126 pp.
5) Spray Collection Beijing: Popular Science Publishing House, 1980, 171 pp.
6) Tour-guide to Science
Changsha: Hunan Scientific and Technological Publishing House, 1981, 450 pp.
7) How to Make Your Newborn Healthy and Smart
Beijing: China Women Publishing House, 1981, 90 pp.
8) Selected Essays of Medical Sciences Beijing: People's Med. Pub. House, 1982, 129 pp.
9) Exercise and Hygiene of Middle Age and Aging
Hangzhou: Zhejiang People's Pub. House, 1983, 211 pp.
10) Physiology and Health Beijing: Popular Science Publishing House, 1982, 110 pp.
11) Medical Micropodia: Prevention of Birth Defects
Tianjin: Tianjin Sci.& Tech. Pub. House, 1983, 203 pp.
12) Hospital Management Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House, 1983, 592 pp.
13) College Student Beijing : New Era Publishing House, 1983, 292 pp.
14) Selected Papers on Dialectics of Nature Beijing: People's Pub. House, 1983, 588 pp.
15) Selected Essays on Sciences in Modern China
Nanjing: Jiangsu Sci. & Tech. Pub. House, 1983, 523 pp.
16) Selected Readings on Medical Sciences Volume III,
Changsha: Hunan Sci. & Tech. Pub. House, 1984, 376 pp.
17) Modern Hospital Management Harbin: Heilongjiang Sci. & Tech. Pub. House, 1984,
718 pp.; Chapter 72 Patient pp. 712-718.
18) Selected Papers on Medical Sciences Volume III,
Changsha: Hunan Sci. & Tech. Pub. House, 1984, 376 pp.
19) Middle Age Hygiene Beijing: Knowledge Publishing House, 1985, 508 pp.
20) Science Faced obstacles Changsha: Hunan Sci.& Tech. Pub. House, 1986, 494 pp.
21) Required Readings of Science and Technology for Cadres
Shanghai:Shanghai Jiaotong Univ. Press, 1986, 668 pp.
22) Health and Beauty Beijing: People's Sports Publishing House, 1987, 628 pp.
23) Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Newly Scientific Branches
Tianjin: Huashia Publishing House, 1988, 637 pp.
24) Health Education Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House, 1988.
25) "To Know something about everything, and everything about something."
In A Saying Which Has Changed One's Whole Life, Volume 4, authored by 100 present famous persons,
edited by You-fang Cao, Taipei, Taiwan: Yuan-Shen Press, 1993, pp. 100-101 with my photo & biography.
(4) Selected journal articles:
I have published over 500 articles in over 70 journals and in over 20 newspapers in mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and the U.S.A. Selected list is as follows:
"One of the Most Brilliant Achievements in the Preparation and Use of Sex Hormones in Eleventh Century China."* Acta Zoologica Sinica 22: 192-196.##
1976(b) "Shen Kuo (1031-1095 A.D.) and Medicine."
Journal of Peking Medical College (3):189-193.
"Medical Practice and Health Care in the Primitive Society." Journal of Peking Medical College (3):189-191, 1977.
1980(a) "On the Classification of Medicine." Medicine and Philosophy 1(1):30-33.
1980(b) "On the Development of the Concept of Homeostasis."
Progress in Physiological Sciences 11(3):284-286.
1980(c) "On the `Breakthrough' of the Discovery of Sex Hormones--A Historical
Analysis." Chinese Journal of Medical History 10(1):34-36.
1981 "Medical Ethics: Tradition, Dilemma,and Significance."
Medicine and Philosophy 2(3):54-60.
"The Disciplinary Character and System of the Science of Prevention of Birth Defects."* Medicine and Philosophy 3(7):14-6.
1982(b) "On the Object, Content, and Significance of Medical Sociology."
Medicine & Philosophy 3(4):9-11.
1982(c) "On the Main Characteristics of Modern Medicine."
Coal Miners' Medicine 4(2):97-100.
1982(d) "Everyone Should Have A Viewpoint of the Future."
Future and Development 3(2):25-26.
1982(e) "Future Strategic Measures for Medicare and Health."
Future and Development 3(1):23-25.
"The Effect of Economic Development on Health and Medical Care in China." Medicine & Philosophy 3:4-8.
"On the Transition of the Biomedical Model into the Biopsychosocial Medical Model." Journal of the Dialectics of Nature 4: 50-54.
"Probing the Stages of Development of the Science of Prevention of Birth Defects.."* Journal of the Dialectics of Nature 5(4):32-39.
1984 "Medical Logic : Twelve Lectures."
Medicine and Philosophy 5(3, to 11), 6(2, to 4).
1985(a) "Medicine in the Twentieth Century."*
Journal of the Dialectics of Nature 7(1):43-50.
1985(b) "On Sex Education : Ten Lectures." Required Readings for Parents (1,to 10).
1985(c) "Outline of the Historical Development of Modern Sexual Medicine."
Encyclopedic Knowledge (2):17-22.
1985(d) "Homosexuality: An Unsolved Puzzle." Zhu Nin Jian-kang (3):14-15.##
1985(e) "The Relationship between the Diet and the Celibacy of the Buddhist Monk
and Nun." Chinese Food (8):38.
1985(f) "The Three Major Problems with Sex Education in China."
Wei-ding Gao (13):7-10.
1985(g) "The Development and the System of the Medical Behavioral Science."
Chinese Hospital Management (8): 32-34.
1986(a) "The Scientific Study of Sex and the Response of Society."
Modern Human (3): 104-107.
1986(b) "Toward Sociology of Sex and Sex Classification with a critic on
The Professionals of the Third Sexual Category." National Taiwan University Journal of Sociology
1988 "A New Classification of Family." World Journal March 1, 18, 25; April 7, 13.
1995 "On Sexuality Education." Taiwan Journal of Sexology 1(1): 10-12.
(5) Columns in Chines in the 80s & 90s:
5-1. In the USA:
(A) "On Sociology of Sex." (June 26, 1986-July 31, 1989)##
World Journal (Chinese Daily News, American Edition, Published in New York,
NY; Houston, TX; Los Angeles, CA; San Francisco, CA)
(B) "Sexology and Medicine." (Feb. 20, 1987- Jan. 11, 1989)
Centre Daily News (A Chinese newspaper, Published in Long Island City, NY;
Houston, TX; San Francisco, CA; Los Angeles, CA).
5-2. In China:
(A) "On Sexuality Education" (August, 1994-November, 1995) Renzhichu
(Monthly magazine, Published in Guangzhou)
(B) "American Sexologists on Sex" (January, 1994- ) Dazhong Yixue
(Popular Medicine, Monthly magazine, Published in Shanghai, Taipei, & Singapore).
1)Human Body and Thinking. Translation of Issac Asimov's Asimov's Guide to
Science, (Chapt. 14-16). New York: Basic Books, Inc., 1972. Beijing: Science Press, 1978.
2)The Brain and Behavior. Translation of S. T. Butler and R. Raymond's book of
the same title, New York : Doubleday, 1977. Beijing: Science Press, 1981.
3) Your Body's Defense. Translation of D. C. Knight's book of the same title,
New York : McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1975. Beijing : Science Press House, 1982.
4) Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science & Technology. (Co-translator).
Translation of I. Asimov's book of the same title, New York: Doubleday, 1982. Beijing: Science Press, 1988.
1980 "The Brain". Translation of D. H. Hubel's article
of the same title in: Scientific American (9), 1979. Science (in Chinese)(1):2-13.
PRESENTATIONS (1987 - Present):
(1) The 82nd Annual Meeting of The American Sociological Association, Chicago, IL,
August 18, 1987. Fang-fu Ruan & Yung-mei Tsai: "Male Homosexuality in Contemporary Mainland China.
(2) The 30th Annual Meeting of The Society for the Scientific Study of Sex, Atlanta, GA,
November 7, 1987. Fang-fu Ruan & Yung-mei Tsai: "Male Transsexualism in
Contemporary Mainland China."
(3) Speaker: "Sex Repression in Contemporary China." The Tenth Humanist World
Congress Sponsored by The International Humanist And
Ethical Union (IHEU) and Free Inquiry Magazine, Buffalo, NY, August 1, 1988
(4) The 31st Annual Meeting of The Society for the Scientific Study of Sex,
San Francisco, CA,
November 13, 1988. Fang Fu Ruan & Tyana Payne: "Sex Education in the People's Republic of China: Past and Present."
(5) 1989 National Council On Family Relations Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.,
November 3-8, 1989. Judith Auerry, Deena Andrews, Fang Fu Ruan, and Laura Post: "Classifying
the Family Types Based on Sexual Lifestyles."
(6) The 32nd Annual Meeting of The Society for the Scientific Study of Sex, Toronto,
Canada, November 10, 1989. Fang-fu Ruan
& Deena Andrews: "Sex Policy in Contemporary Mainland China."
(7) The 33rd Annual Meeting of The Society for the Scientific Study of Sex, Minneapolis,
Minnesota, November 1-4, 1990. Fang-fu Ruan & Robin Kristufek: "Lesbianism in Mainland China."
(8) The 34th Annual Meeting of The Society for the Scientific Study of Sex, New Orleans,
Louisiana, November 10, 1991. Vern L. Bullough & Fang Fu Ruan: "Sex, Marriage and
Divorce in Mainland China Today."
(9) The 1992 SSSS's Western Region Annual Conference, May 1 - 3, Palo Alto. CA.
Jacklyn E. Stroud & Fang-fu Ruan: "Sexual
Compatibility: Sexual Diversity and the Most Compatible Sexual Partner(s)."
(10) Discussant: The Evolution of the Meaning of sexual Intercourse in the Human:
Multidisciplinary Workshop, Sponsored by The Ford Foundation, Rome, Italy, October 19 -21, 1992.
(11) The 35th Annual Meeting of The Society for the Scientific Study of Sex,
Diego, CA, November 12-15, 1992. Fang-Fu Ruan & Vern L. Bullough: "Sex Research in mainland China Today."
POSTS HELD IN THE PRESS AND PUBLISHING CIRCLES IN CHINA:
(1) Editor-in-Chief, The Group of Editor-in-Chiefs, Potential Science (An official journal
of the Chinese Society of Potential Science).
(2) Editor (Medicine and Health), Future and Development
(An official journal of the Chinese Society of Futurology)
(3) Standing Editor (Physiology),
Progress in Physiological Sciences (An official journal of the Chinese Association of Physiological Sciences).
(4) Standing Editor, Chinese Journal of Medical History (An
official journal of the Chinese Society of Medical History, Chinese Medical Association).
(5) Managing Editor, Life (A popular biological series published by Popular Science
Publishing House, Beijing).
(6) Special Editor, Medicine and Philosophy (An official journal of the Chinese Society of the Studies of the Dialectics of Nature).
(7) Member of the Editorial Board, Chinese Hospital Management
(8) Member of the Editorial Board, Chinese Social Medicine
(9) Member of the Editorial Board, Health (A popular medical magazine published by
Beijing Medical Association).
(10) Editor, Division of Special Editors, Guanming Ribao Publishing House, Beijing.
(11) Editor, Editorial Board of the Series of Biological Sciences, Science Press, Beijing.
(12) Member of the Editorial Board, "Zhouxiang Weilei Congshu" ("Series of Moving
Towards Future"), published by Sichuan People's Publishing House, Chengdu.