• Can I apply before I have obtained my official master degree certificate?
    Yes. The only condition is that you must hold your master degree when you start here.
  • Can recommenders submit their reference letters after the deadline?
    Yes. Recommenders have one week after the application deadline to submit their letters.
  • What background in physics or mathematics is required?
    We expect an excellent background in theoretical (particle) physics and mathematics. The precise profile depends on the research field you want to pursue for your PhD studies.
  • How long does it take to get the PhD?
    The expected time is 3 years, extensions are possible in exceptional circumstances.
  • I have done a degree in Cambridge in the Master of Mathematics / Master of Advanced Study program, which does not include a master thesis. Can I still apply?
    Yes, you can apply, the degree will be accepted.
  • What kind of financial aids do you offer?
    All doctoral researchers will be employed with a working contract following the rules of the collective wage agreement “Tarifvertrag √∂ffentlicher Dienst” that includes contributions to health insurance, pension funds and is taxable. Extra payment for children is possible.
  • Is there a tuition fee?
    There are no tuition fees at the Humboldt Universität, but for the enrolment at the university you have to pay a fee of about 500-600 Euro per year which includes free public transport.
  • When is the deadline for applications?
    We may have up to two application rounds per year. Please consult the application page for details, including the deadlines.
  • Do I need to name a ‘Preferred Advisor’?
    No, you don’t. On the other hand, if you have a strong wish or maybe already had personal contact to one of the advisors, you may mention his/her name. All PIs listed on the member page are possible advisors.